February 1, 2010

Van Buren High School builds an Interact Club

Dear Rotarians,

I wanted the membership of the Van Buren Rotary Club to know the impact they have had on Van Buren High School. The organizational charter meeting of the Van Buren High School Interact Club was held on a snowy morning Friday January 29, 2010. The absentee level at the school was high so our numbers to charter the club could increase. I have pasted below the email that I received from one of our teacher sponsors immediately following our meeting. I have also attached two pictures with some of the students and of the banner and bell that our club purchased for the club. 

Yours in Rotary Service,

Shirley H. Williams


Dear Van Buren Rotary Club,

While Missy Hefner and I counted 90 (give or take), we ended up with 80 signatures, so I suspect the 90 is pretty accurate.  We are continuing to gather signatures from Honor Society members who were unable to attend our meeting but want to be a part of Interact.  Those signatures are not among the 80.

Our janitor J.R. has provided a hook and our banner is now permanently hanging outside Missy’s room.  It should be visible from the street at night when driving west on Pointer Trail.  The bell and gavel are now prominently displayed in my classroom.

I have made copies of the roster and will bring you the original.  Both Missy and I have copies and there will be an official “Interact Club” file with a copy.

Mrs. Guthrie is thrilled with our numbers and is pleased that we are providing an international club membership opportunity to our students free of charge. 

I hope you were able to notice the faces of our members.  We crossed all racial and cultural boundaries. This club is a positive addition to Van Buren High School.

Elizabeth J. Williams 
Lead Teacher, English
Van Buren High School
I'm sure every Rotarian who reads these two notes today will stand a little taller and extend their assistance and best wishes to the new Van Buren Interact Club and its new members.

No comments: